Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mission Opportunity

I went to dinner the other night with a friend of mine and we were talking about how we feel like we could be so much more useful to the community and in showing the love of Christ to those around us through simple acts of kindness. We talked about how we often look to the needs of people less fortunate during the holidays, but we rarely try to reach out and be involved in helping throughout the rest of the year....so we decided to start a little year-round ministry. I am SOOOO excited about it and would like to share it with you! I think that part of the reason why I love missions so much is because of the lives that are touched through simple Christlike services...no strings attached. Sometimes people really need to see Christ's love displayed before they are willing to open their hearts and minds to the gospel. So here is our project plan...

We are going to begin collecting staple household items to make packages for each home we will be delivering to. We have already chosen the community that we are going to serve and there are currently 87 residents in this community. We would like to eventually be able to deliver a package to each door and allow this to be an ongoing process. We would also like for as many people to help as possible! I will post a list of the items we will be collecting at the bottom of this blog. If you are interested in donating, please let me know and I will be glad to pick the items up from you, or they can be brought to the church. I have had a lot of people tell me that they read my blog, so now it is being used for advertisement! :)

If you would like to help stuff the packages, deliver the items, etc. please let me know that as well. We are going to take the next three or so weeks to get the word out and try to gather donations, based on where we are at that point we will decide when to deliver, etc.
Through doing this and having a presence in the community, we hope to build relationships and share Christ with those who may not know His wonderful love. Look forward to partnering with you in sharing the love of Christ to our community!

4 packs of toilet paper
2 packs of paper towels
laundry detergent
soap
trash bags
toothbrushes & paste
wash clothes
Bibles (Spanish and English) Church may have some too...

No comments: