Last night, Matthew and I were talking about a book that he is reading called, "The Sermon on the Mount." The chapter that he was reading to me was about contentment. As we were talking, I started to think about the things in life that make me feel completely content and then the things that easily bring discontent. Then we talked about why it is so easy for us/people to become so discontent in all aspects of life...marriage, materially, socially, professionally, etc. What I know and have known for a very long time is that my discontentment comes when I take my eyes off God and try to invest or focus too much on other things. God wants me to find contentment in any and all situations that He brings my way (even when things are tough). I am so thankful that when I do look to Him, in easy as well as difficult times, He can bring that contentment and at least help me understand the source of my discontent.
Contentment is something that has come and gone for me. I think I have lived most of my Christian walk as a fairly content person. But somewhere is the midst of some things I think complete contentment may have become a little harder to find. I was unable to sleep at night, worrying all the time, and upset. God has brought me back to a place of contentment again and for that I am truly thankful. I have looked to Him so much. I have asked so many questions, and I have seen His love, faithfulness, provision, guidance, assurance, and grace more than ever before. He has shown me so much and taught me so much.
Although God wants us to find contentment in all things, it is during those times of discontent that I have learned so much about joy in contentment, even when the situation may not be ideal. I also don't think it is natural for us to always feel content...that is how God uses situations to stretch us, teach us, and grow us. Without feelings of discontnent, we may never grow to be the fully committed followers that Christ has called us to be. I also don't think that we should always feel completely content with the way things are in our Christian walk. I think if we do feel that way, we may have just gotten comfortable and quit abiding. SOOO....I say all this to say....rely on Him in your discontent and that's where true contnentment that only He can give will come....satisfaction guaranteed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I liked your blog! Miss you!!!
Post a Comment