Sunday, April 5, 2009

Palm Sunday

I just love this time of year when the weather starts to warm up and Spring is in the air. I also love this time of year because I am reminded of what Jesus has done for me....and words cannot even begin to express my gratitude. I am reminded of a man who came to Earth with a single goal..a man who never lost sight of why he was here, He never took his eyes off God and what God had asked him to do. Then I have to ask myself, how often do I know what God has asked me to do, but still in the midst of it all I take my eyes off of him? Too often, I know.

Too often I worry about personal comfort and my own self and my eyes are not clearly set on Christ and all that He has for me. As a believer I am called to live a sacrificial life, in fact I am called to face hardships and find joy in trials. (what?) For example, when Jesus was going to Jerusalem he took the twelve disciples aside and told them that everything that was written about the Son of Man would be fulfilled. He said, "He will be handed over to the Gentiles. They will mock him, spit on him, flog him, and kill him. On the third day he will rise again." He knew what was coming....but he never looked back. As believers, aren't we guaranteed to face similar treatment? I mean, if we truly want "to live as Jesus did?" It can be painful and flat out hard sometimes. Isn't it so much easier to back away and take our own route rather than facing the mocking, spit, and pain?

There is only one way that we can face this kind of life, the life that Christ has called us to, and that is through preparing ourselves for times that may be hard, but also preparing ourselves to do what God asks, no matter what. Being in the Word and knowing the truths of Scripture. We have to be prepared for battle! As said in Ephesians 6 we must put on the full armor of God because when you are following Christ and his plans for you, you better believe there is a war going on.

Jesus was prepared for His death on the cross. Before going to Jerusalem, he sent two of his disciples ahead of Him to find the colt and bring it to him. He was following the path that he knew God had and preparing to make his "Triumphal Entry." Later in scripture it says that "They brought the colt to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road. When he came near the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen; "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in the heavens and glory in the highest!" (what a beautiful picture) Then some of the Pharisees told Jesus to rebuke his disciples, and this was his reply, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (WOW! We truly can't keep the truth about Christ quiet, we should be shouting our praise... or something with no life whatsoever (a rock) will cry out....He IS that worthy of praise!) It said that "as he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it and said, "If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace-but now it is hidden from your eyes. The day will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. They will dash you to the ground, you and your children within these walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God's coming to you." then Jesus in humility and boldness entered into the temple area and began driving out those who were selling. I imagine he was flipping tables and raging with righteous anger. He told them, "My house will be a house of prayer; but you have made it a den of robbers." Whoa! Can you believe it? He showed them didn't he? As a believer I am called to a standard of living that is attractive and different. As a follower I should also be displaying that same boldness in humility, but isn't it is so much easier to be prideful and passive?
The leaders were trying to kill Jesus, but they were unable to because the people were hanging on his every word. The ultimate portrayal of love and sacrifice was only days away....

What an amazing God we serve!

No comments: